With St. Patrick's Day coming up this week, we are going to do a week on Ireland this week. I'm excited for the kids to explore their Irish heritage (they are half-Irish)!
These are our plans:
- Map of Ireland - label major cities and landmarks, and also family origins of paternal grandparents
History & Culture:
- Watch videos at: http://www.history.com/topics/st-patricks-day
- A Day in the Life of an Irish boy: http://www.timeforkids.com/destination/ireland/day-in-life
- Read "Brigid’s Cloak" - Legend about St. Brigid
- Read "St. Patrick's Day
- Potato Famine - Interactive website for kids about conditions during the potato famine
- Read "Feed the Children First- Irish Memories of the Great Hunger"
- Try out recipes - including Irish soda bread
- Lapbook - We will use some of this free lapbook
- Selections from this Book list for kids, including traditional Irish folk tales and historical fiction.
- Copywork of Irish Blessings: http://www.irishcultureandcustoms.com/Blessings/Bless.html
- Bell Pepper Shamrock: http://www.allkidsnetwork.com/crafts/st-patricks-day/bell-pepper-shamrock-craft.asp
I'll post our actual reading selections and the final lapbook on our Weekly Wrap-up at the end of the week!